9 Mar 2013

Twitter

In the last few months I have significantly increased my twitter usage. Not because suddenly loads has started happening to me or because I've got more time (ha!), but mainly because I got twitter on my phone.

But last week I realised something. Twitter is connecting me with a whole new realm of people who I didn't know existed. There are people out there who genuinely want to live godly lives but struggle with the practicalities and with the theologies about how we can wrestle with faith. There are those out there that are a little disillusioned with Church and what is is offering, but who don't want to give up on it. There are those who are questioning what happens when tradition meets truth. 

It's made me realise, I'm not the only one with big questions. 

Following people on twitter and having more access to reading new blogs/articles, to witness and get involved with online debate is interesting. It is SO interesting. 

Yesterday was International Women's Day and I went to an Award's Ceremony hosted by the Stephen Lawrence Charitable Trust. Every speaker who stood up reminded us that women have a voice that is worthy to be heard. 

Twitter has actually empowered me. Not only do I feel I have linked up with new people who challenge/encourage my thinking/developing of ideas, but I feel like my voice on there means something. No, I don't have a massive load of followers, but that's not what it's about. If I tweet or contribute to an online discussion, my voice is valid. 

Something I have wrestled with (and continue to wrestle with) is how in Church women are sometimes considered second-rate. That our views aren't necessarily as credible as guys' are. How we encourage this idea by giving guys more roles in leadership, more opportunities to preach, in some cases, more respect. 

I have found twitter to be an online community which values each voice and enables individuals to speak out, even if it's a little scary at first.    

1 comment:

  1. This is how I feel about blogging. I feel like people probably see it as geeky but it's opened up a whole new community of support, especially since Ivy has been born.

    I think like anything social media can be used for good and bad, time wasting or encouragement. It's just down to us to be good stewards. xx

    ReplyDelete