20 Jun 2013

Free Weekend?

So I just have checked in my diary and have noticed something pretty horrific. I don't have a fully free weekend until the end of August. 

Whoa how has that happened?! 

I think I hadn't realised because only recently have I actually got a proper paper diary (rather than my outlook diary on the computer). It's easy to agree to things without actually seeing them in relation to other events in the calender. 

Of these weekends:

  • 4 I am working
  • 2 are weddings
  • 3 I am doing something in/after Church

I'm also supposed to be training for a mammoth sponsored cycle ride in September. Now this throws up a few questions:

  • How am I going to rest properly?
  • When am I going to see people who I really want to see?
  • When will I have time to plan for any of these things I am supposed to be doing?
This is when some pretty epic time management comes into play. Dealing with only the things that are absolutely essential, not getting distracted, being disciplined. Sound like me? Not at all. 

Ha. Even as I type this I am thinking that this is going to be a tricky time. I don't know if you have ever had one of those days where you start knowing that it is going to be impossible to fit everything you have planned in the hours that you have. I have had this happen to me a number of times. Crazily God always manages to make things work, whether it's people cancelling, circumstances changing or just miraculously fast journeys on public transport. 

I know that in the midst of mental busy-ness I can trust God to be my rock and to hold me firm. But I also know that being busy means more than ever I need to be rooting myself in God and in his truths; otherwise my perspectives will get skewed and my energy will rapidly deplete. 

Not too long ago I completed a Myers Briggs Personality Type test - I came out as an ESFP (Extrovert, Sensing, Feeling, Perceiving). One of the things my profile suggests is that I like to have more than one thing on the go, that I love to have lots to work with. Now I know this is true - I am very much a starter rather than a finisher because I love new things; I enjoy juggling lots of projects as it keeps me motivated. I'm the person who has about 15 tabs open on my computer at the same time and flicks over all of them adding a bit to each as I go. (It takes me a while to finish blog posts because I do this).

So I know that being busy is actually something I relish in. Something that actually helps me to function better. But there has got to be balance. Busy-ness without rest is exhausting. And exhausted is something I cannot afford to be. 

How do you make sure you stay rooted in God and not over do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment