24 Jun 2013

Unconscious Singing

I seem to be one of those people who hum/sing/make noise whenever, wherever, most of the time. It's funny because I didn't really notice it about myself until I moved in with Beth. A lot of the time we'll be sitting in the front room doing work together in the evenings and I'll start humming or making a weird noise without even realising and she'll just laugh at me. 

Maybe it's because I am quite an extrovert and out loud thinker. Maybe it's because I don't really embrace silence; sometimes I can, but mostly I find my head fills with ridiculous thoughts that are neither helpful nor constructive. 

Anyway, today I was on my way to the train station to go into XLP Office and I had probably walked for at least 5 mins before I realised that I was singing a Bethel song called Love Came Down. I mean I wasn't singing it loud, and I'm sure that for part of it at least it was just a song I was singing in my head. But what occurred to me was that I was singing this song quite oblivious to the lyrics I was singing and the truth that I was proclaiming over my life. 

Here are the lyrics - 

  • If my heart is overwhelmed and I cannot hear Your voice
  • I'll hold on to what is true though I cannot see
  • If the storms of life they come and the road ahead gets steep
  • I will lift these hands in faith, I will believe
  • I remind myself of all that You've done
  • And the life I have because of Your Son
  • Love came down and rescued me
  • Love came down and set me free
  • Now I am Yours, I am forever Yours
  • Mountain high or valley low
  • I sing out, remind my soul
  • I am Yours, I am forever Yours
  • When my heart is filled with hope, when every promise comes my way
  • When I feel Your hands of grace rest upon me
  • Staying desperate for You God, staying humbled at Your feet
  • I will lift these and praise, I will believe
  • I am Yours, I am Yours
  • All my days I am Yours

  • It struck me that I was turning my mind to good things and truths I should be embracing without even realising it! When I clocked what I was doing I was able to reflect a bit about what "being God's" is all about. 

  • I've just finished reading a book that my friend's mum has written called "Potholes and Bellyflops: Thoughts from a Woman who knows" and Susie (the mum) is really good at articulating her journey of faith and what she has been learning along the way - how she has taken on a new identity because of what Jesus has done for her. 

  • I want to be someone who is secure in who I am in God. I work with so many scarily insecure young people who have no idea who they are and have so little self worth. I have been given an identity and can be confident in who God has created me to be. 

  • My unconscious singing has helped me to remember this.
  • 1 comment: