14 Sept 2011

Living in the city

So over one week into the job and just about getting to grips with various policies, systems, responsibilities etc. I think this week I have really been struck by 2 things. 


Firstly, I actually LOVE the people I work with. They are fantastic at making me feel welcome and helping me when I need them. It's so cool to be able to work with Christians who even though we all go to completely different churches and are from various church backgrounds and areas of the country, we all get on and love each other. It's so cool to see this in practise. 


Secondly, its really weird but kids here actually think I'm cool! Like I always joke that I'm quite cool but really I know I'm quite a geek...but honestly kids genuinely WANT to talk to me and hang out with me. I find this a bit mental, I thought I was going to have to work really hard to build relationships and get teenagers to interact with me...however, it seems they are more than willing to talk to me, its more me actually making sure what I talk about it useful, positive and relevant. 


You might remember me saying I'm reading through Proverbs this month and I've been struck by how much there is about speech and its power. 


"When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise." Prov 10:19


"He who guards his lips guards his life, but he who speaks rashly will come to ruin." Prov 13:3


"A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger." Prov 15:1


So much of the time I react and speak before I have fully thought through what I am saying. I don't want my words to inflict unnecessary pain or judgement on people. I want to be someone who builds people up and can speak the truth of Christ' love. Especially in this job, I have been given such good opportunities...I don't want to waste them.


Anyone else got any thoughts on Proverbs?

No comments:

Post a Comment