12 Nov 2012

The Big Silence part 2

So originally I was expecting The Big Silence to be a 2 part post but having spent some time thinking/trying I now realise its going to be a bit longer.

Basically I have been trying to incorporate times of silence into my day and so far it is REALLY HARD! Seriously. The thing is I have times of silence which I don't even recognise and so am not necessarily utilising them to their full potential. But the times when I try to have times of reflection or just quiet I really struggle. 

I am so used to multi-tasking and having loads to do that to stop is almost a bit foreign to me. When I stop it feels unnatural and like I should be doing other things. I end up thinking about all the things I could be doing. 

It amazes me that Jesus was so able to just retreat because he needed to. He knew he needed to spend time with God - that he couldn't do things without him. I want to have that kind of heart. I want to know more of God's voice and so even though this is really hard and I am not having any immediate success I am going to keep going.

One amazing thing is that my boss told us all that he wants us to take a work day to retreat a couple times a year. I can't believe how lucky I am to work somewhere that gives me those kind of opportunities. This is a pic of my crazy colleagues - love them!


1 comment:

  1. What's the significance of doing nothing? I know it would take discipline not to get distracted but maybe it would work better for you to do something whilst you're silent - like go for a walk?

    I'm just thinking out loud here - not sure what is right, but just thinking that we're all different and we don't all have to experience God in the same way? Maybe once you'd got used to having regular time of silent walking (or whatever) it would be easier to switch to doing nothing

    I am rubbish at this too xxx

    ReplyDelete