24 Sept 2012

New Tunes

This summer I had the joy of hearing a band called Rend Collective Experiment. I was at Soul Survivor with work promoting the cause but managed to get to most of the main meetings. One night these guys were playing and if I'm honest I was taken aback. 

I think in my head I have a very limited view to what "sung worship*" is. I mean I have grown up ALL MY LIFE going to Church and have heard the changes to the average Church worship group - the subtle change from mission praise to soul survivor songbook. However, in my opinion, most Christian worship music is quite same-y. You can tell that by a lot of songs being able to be played with the same chords. 

* I say "sung worship" because as a Christian I really feel like my whole life should be worship to God. Everything I think, say or do I want to do to honour him and his creation.


Now I LOVE singing praise to my God. And I love a range of styles of doing that. One of my favourite songs is "And can it be" because the lyrics are just immense! They talk of what Jesus has done for me by dying on the cross - but also talk about how I can rejoice because Jesus has done everything for me. It's all based on parts of the Bible and I love that. In case you don't know the words they are below.


And can it be that I should gain
An interest in the Saviour's blood?
Died He for me, who caused His pain
For me, who Him to death pursued?
Amazing love! how can it be
That Thou, my God, shoulds't die for me?

'Tis mystery all! The Immortal dies:
Who can explore His strange design?
In vain the first-born seraph tries
To sound the depths of love divine.
'Tis mercy all! let earth adore,
Let angel minds inquire no more.

He left His Father's throne above,
So free, so infinite His grace,
Emptied Himself of all but love,
And bled for Adam's helpless race:
'Tis mercy all, immense and free;
For, O my God, it found out me!

Long my imprisoned spirit lay
Fast bound in sin and nature's night;
Thine eye diffused a quickening ray,
I woke, the dungeon flamed with light;
My chains fell off, my heart was free,
I rose, went forth and followed Thee.

No condemnation now I dread;
Jesus, and all in Him, is mine!
Alive in Him, my living Head,
And clothed in righteousness divine,
Bold I approach the eternal throne,
And claim the crown, through Christ my own.

Now this is proper old school hymn, the words were written in 1738 which boggles my mind a bit that they are still so relevant in praising God today. 

And then you have songs like "When the music fades" which talks about God's heart for genuine worship rather than just face value singing. 

Why am I talking about this?! Well when I first heard Rend Collective Experiment I really liked them musically, but I thought they were a bit too perform-y to be a worship band. Now also at Soul Survivor a friend of mine actually gave me the Rend Collective Experiment cd which was a lovely surprise. 

Now having listened to the lyrics a lot more I have to totally change my tune - the heart behind these songs is genuine, the lyrics are deep and aren't just airy fairy. Yes, to me their style of worship was different to what I expected but then is that bad?! The Bible says this:

"Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks". John 4:23 

I want my worship to be heartfelt. I don't want to go through the motions of something I've done all my life. I want God to know that when I sing to him I sing from the depths of who I am. Now if I'm honest - that totally doesn't happen normally. But these guys are opening my eyes to some new styles of worship and maybe that isn't a bad thing...

Have a listen...

also if you're into Christian music - think about following this blog...pretty decent. 

1 comment:

  1. I love Rend Collective. They were on Songs of Praise a while ago (yes, I'm that cool) and my family and I were singing along! Love a bit of a shake up with the music. Makes you think about what you're singing rather than just going off memory xxx

    ReplyDelete